Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Surprise Guest.


So this little guy appeared on my porch yesterday afternoon. He came scrambling up to me as soon as I knelt down and said, "Hey there, puppy." Someone walked out as I was petting him and I asked if he knew who he belonged to and the guy replied, "I don't know. That puppy has been running around here freely the last two days and nights."

He didn't have a collar or any other clues that would indicate that he belonged to anyone so I took him in. Right from the beginning, I could tell he was a great dog. Super mellow and friendly. I gave him some water and a bit of Hazey Jane's cat food and he seemed more than grateful. I spent the next hour or so watching him go from one room to another, sniffing things out and making himself at home. It wasn't long before I knew this was a great dog, therefore he needed to be in a great home. I couldn't take him to the pound where just any dog-ignorant person could pick him out and ruin his exceptional disposition. I know this because most of you know that my parents run their own dog obediance program and I've seen good dogs, bad dogs, and amazing dogs. And this is an amazing dog.

But of course, I can't keep him. At first, I managed to justify keeping him, but soon after realized I am at a stage in life that simply does not have room for a puppy.

I sent pictures of him to my Dad, who has such grace, he's helping me to pay for vet bills and the rest of his needs. He said if I can't find a home for him in a week or so, we'll arrange to fly him back to my parents in Seattle where they can find the perfect home for him.

So you might be wondering what we've been calling him. Well, it was tough at first. There was a moment when the pup picked up a piece of paper that had printed Sam Beam lyrics on it, brought it over to me as if saying, "Here, I found this. You can have it." So I started calling him Sam. Cute. But I wasn't settled on it completely. Then Dad and I, thinking he might be part Great Dane, started thinking of names that conveyed "bigness". So we chose the name "Hulk" and so far, it's kind of stuck. Andy's been calling him "Butterfinger" because, "He looks like a butterfinger brownie we serve at work." So we've been going back and forth.

We also found out what he actually is. My Dad shared the photos with my Mom and one of her work colleagues and realized that he is a type of coonhound, called a Plott Hound. Google them and you'll find pictures that look just like this guy.

We're actually going to try and get Andy's mom and dad to take him because they were looking for a dog this summer, preferably one that would take care of the "racoon problem" they've been having. What better type of dog than a "coon" dog? The only problem is that Andy's mom is recently recovering from a foot fracture, so she's not exactly in the best position for trying to keep up with a young dog who still needs training. But... We're still hoping.

So that's fun! In other news...

I'm about finished with Ian's painting. I tried finishing last weekend but there was an aspect of it that was particularly detailed that I messed up, had to start again, messed up and had to start again, again! So! But here's hoping that gets done tomorrow and sent off. I think he's gonna like it. There's a moon and a pretty lady involved.

Does anyone else want a painting? Maybe something special for a loved one? Now's the perfect time to ask before Christmas! If you've got an idea for one and you'd like for me to work it, let me know! Reasonable rates! Haha. I'm such a great self promoter (not really).

4 Comments:

Blogger amyh said...

A painting you say? A painting by Carly Bishop? Who could pass up such an opportinuty!?!? :-)

I've got a few ideas, mostly stuff we've talked about before.... I'll let ya know.... love you!

3:58 PM EST  
Blogger Ian Dunn said...

Can't wait :)

6:19 PM EST  
Blogger seth said...

Speaking of painting - I put your portrait of me back on my blog. I chopped it up a little, hope you don't mind!

12:03 AM EST  
Blogger carlybish said...

Hahaha! Seth, that is sooo cool! Thanks! I appreciate the sentiment!!! :)

3:13 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home