Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Katrina, Katrina.


We felt her this morning. My apartment lost power approximately 10 seperate times during the night. The reason I know is because each time the power returned, my printer would turn itself on and print a "test page", which would wake me up. Occasionally, I'd check out my window to see what was happening. Trees were whipping back and forth in the wind's furosity and the rain was coming down hard. In the morning, I left for school and found myself walking a path littered with twigs, leaves, the occasional piece of trash, and even some very large tree limbs. The wind was pretty strong throughout the day. I didn't like it. Because I knew what was happening further south and it's a sickening thought.

New Orleans, a place I've never been, and everyone describes as "one of the prettiest places I've ever seen", is now under water and won't ever be the same. Millions of people have no place to live. And if they want to go anywhere, it's going to cost more than $3 a gallon to get there.

I wish I were down there, pulling people out of the water. Thank God for the ones who can do such things. Miracles are still waiting to happen.

Currently listening to:

Foo Fighters
In Your Honor
Disc Two, "Miracle"

3 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Well, It's good to know you're OK.

If I may impart a suggestion..? Pictures of this event from your point of view would be amazing to see....

7:34 AM EST  
Blogger carlybish said...

I've taken a few pictures today, but a lot of the mess has already been cleaned up. People have swept off their walkways and piled all the debris at the end of their driveways. I will say that the air hasn't felt this clean in ages. The sky is the bluest I've seen it all summer and the air is actually cool. I can think of no other reason besides Katrina that the atmosphere should feel this great.

10:13 AM EST  
Blogger amyh said...

Carly, I'm so glad you're safe and sound.....I thought of you while watching the inceasent news about Katrina's path.... It's about all the tv we can get here in Mexico that's in English. Free internet access though!

If you could, please say a little prayer for all the UBuildIt partners we have in that region. We have about 25 offices right in the path....

Anyways, glad you're safe.... Miss you and I'll be sending you some rockin' pics when I get home!

11:38 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home