Eathster.
Like I wrote before, I worked early today. Really early. As in, 5:30 in the morning. Starbucks doesn't close for Easter Sunday.
I actually thought about it and realized I was glad that I was working on Easter instead of going to church. At first, I felt bad for feeling that way, but as I thought about it more, I considered the reason behind why I was glad for missing it...
Growing up, my family didn't attend church regularly. We always talked about finding a "home church" but when Mom's business took flight, it became increasingly difficult to find the time to find a church to go to. So when we did go, it was always for the Christmas Eve service and Easter. That was when we went to church. And that was pretty much the only time.
Of course, sometime when I was 15 years old, my parents finally found a church to call their own and it's amazing, great, and perfect for them. As well as really inspiring. But even still, while they attend church regularly now, every time I think about those particular services in honor of Christmas or Easter, I just feel like it's shallow... I don't know if that's a false perception or not, but thinking about it, I almost feel like it's meaningless. Because I know that my family wasn't the only family in the neighborhood who treated church that way. Every time I'd ever gone to church growing up, I always heard the same stories. Jesus' birth. Jesus' death. Jesus' resurrection. Always the same stories.
So yeah. While Christmas and Easter are both crucially important and their stories are essential to the Gospel of Christ, I'm still glad I wasn't at church this morning.
Maybe one day, I'll attend an Easter Sunday service with a friend and the Pastor will have prepared a sermon based entirely on Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan or the shepherd that went looking for his lost sheep... That would be pretty cool, I think. To go on a day when you think you're just going to hear the same story told all over again and to leave learning something new or hearing about something you hadn't heard about in a really long time...
Anyway. Happy Easter, despite my apparent lack of enthusiasm. But don't think I'm not totally stoked about the Good News of Christ, because I totally am. I simply try to remember that I should celebrate that everyday and not just one one or two days a year. Know what I mean?
I actually thought about it and realized I was glad that I was working on Easter instead of going to church. At first, I felt bad for feeling that way, but as I thought about it more, I considered the reason behind why I was glad for missing it...
Growing up, my family didn't attend church regularly. We always talked about finding a "home church" but when Mom's business took flight, it became increasingly difficult to find the time to find a church to go to. So when we did go, it was always for the Christmas Eve service and Easter. That was when we went to church. And that was pretty much the only time.
Of course, sometime when I was 15 years old, my parents finally found a church to call their own and it's amazing, great, and perfect for them. As well as really inspiring. But even still, while they attend church regularly now, every time I think about those particular services in honor of Christmas or Easter, I just feel like it's shallow... I don't know if that's a false perception or not, but thinking about it, I almost feel like it's meaningless. Because I know that my family wasn't the only family in the neighborhood who treated church that way. Every time I'd ever gone to church growing up, I always heard the same stories. Jesus' birth. Jesus' death. Jesus' resurrection. Always the same stories.
So yeah. While Christmas and Easter are both crucially important and their stories are essential to the Gospel of Christ, I'm still glad I wasn't at church this morning.
Maybe one day, I'll attend an Easter Sunday service with a friend and the Pastor will have prepared a sermon based entirely on Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan or the shepherd that went looking for his lost sheep... That would be pretty cool, I think. To go on a day when you think you're just going to hear the same story told all over again and to leave learning something new or hearing about something you hadn't heard about in a really long time...
Anyway. Happy Easter, despite my apparent lack of enthusiasm. But don't think I'm not totally stoked about the Good News of Christ, because I totally am. I simply try to remember that I should celebrate that everyday and not just one one or two days a year. Know what I mean?


2 Comments:
there is a sermon my professor heard on easter sunday that he was super stoked about. It was about mercy.. When the put the mp3 up on the website I will send it to you. I don't think it was your typical easter sermon...
Sweet!!
Post a Comment
<< Home