Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Thought of the Day.

I was reading Donald Miller's Searching for God Knows What earlier and I started thinking about the part of the Bible where John the Baptist refers to all the things Jesus accomplished during his time on earth, saying, "If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." And then I thought about the Library of Congress, which contains every book ever published in the United States and how it could possibly contain that many books and if it does possess every book ever published, then surely, their building must be undergoing expansion all the freaking time...

But then I started to reflect over what really Jesus accomplished during his time on earth and I started to think about the ripple effect his sacrifice and resurrection made on humanity. It occurred to me that if everyone--past, present, and future--who chose or chooses to accept Christ and what he did and if each of those people were to have a book written about their life and how Jesus changed it, then yes, the number of those books would be innumerable and also never ceasing until Christ's ultimate return.

Jesus' sacrifice didn't end at the cross and neither did his ministry. It's like the miracle of his death and rising continue to change people's lives everyday, creating miracles and seeing amazing things. So of course, the books of the world couldn't contain it all... It would be impossible.

And so now, what John the Baptist was talking about makes a whole lot more sense. Because before, I had a hard time believing that Jesus performed that many miracles in that short of a duration of ministry, because to me, that many books seemed to resemble an expanse similar to that of standing on a shore and looking for the exact point in space where the ocean ends...

It just doesn't.

3 Comments:

Blogger George Chaney said...

It is encouraging to know that no matter how smart we think we are we can never see past what God allows us to see with our human eyes. OH!!! the joy if we could see the impact of what God's love has done on the millions upon millions of lives that we don't even know about. How much joy that would bring to us, revereance and respect for God, longing to please him and longing to see more people touched and changed by the love of God. Just imagine how many lives the power and love of God has touched. If it were possible I would love to read the books the people would write about the love of God that is in their lives.

What I think that would blow our minds is if we could see to what degree and how much our examples as Christians have touched the lives of other people, because there are people out there who we don't even know but they we somehow impacted by our example. I don't want to be selfish about it saying that, "oh look at me and my relationship wiht God and the lives that I have touched." I don't want that. It's not about me. IT'S NOT ABOUT ME!!! If it was I would remove myself completely. I want it to, "Look how God has worked in his life, to bring him to the place where he acts and makes his choices based on his relationship with God, not on his interaction or influuence of other people."
I am sorry I went off on a tangent. I just really love it when I can look at a persons face when they are worshiping and just see the Love of God that is in them. The joy that is on their faces. I have found that nothing can match the joy that comes with seeing that. I LOVE IT!!!!

I need to stop. sorry it's so long.

George

4:34 PM EST  
Blogger Ian Dunn said...

Simpler explination: John was using a hyperbole.


:-p

5:55 PM EST  
Blogger carlybish said...

Don't reduce my thought process, Ian! It took me a while to think that one out!

;)

8:28 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home